Thursday, May 5, 2016

Emergency Road Trip with Toddlers - What To Pack

I hope everyone had a pleasant week. My great uncle passed away so, the girls and I quickly packed up and headed North with my parents. It's about a 15 hour drive. Longer with little ones. I find the ride is much more pleasant for everyone if you allow the littles to stop and let out some energy every few hours. Consider a rest stop for bathroom breaks, take a picture at the welcome center, go inside to eat (even at fast food) stop at a mini roadside attraction. If you try to fight it, they tend to get louder and louder and the vehicle gets smaller and smaller. Another option that always works for us is to leave at bedtime. My husband and I have no problem with driving at night and there's usually less traffic, but like I said before, this was an emergency trip so, I packed in an hour and we hit the road.

On the ride up (my mother still won't let me drive her anywhere) I realized that this situation is unfortunately not unique to me. I also know, it's not easy to quickly pack your toddler for a trip out of state lasting a week or two. You will rush around the house, run through everything they use on a regular day, rearrange their suitcase four times. Consider the weather for every season and debate with yourself if you're taking too much or too little. Kiss your lover and head out the door. You will probably spend the first hour feeling like you forgot something without being able to pin point it and the next three listing everything in your head. Luckily, there is likely a Target somewhere near you in case it's diapers you forgot.

Obviously in last minute situations, you won't have the time to write down a packing list. To lay out outfits with matching hair bows and coordinate shoes. The ones in my head never work out. Maybe it's because I love the satisfaction of crossing something off  (best feeling ever) or maybe it's because important things are left behind. To help you and me out I've created a checklist for just this situation. I've kept it to a minimum. Think, emergency trip. I hope you have a successful road trip and I hope you find it useful. Most important of all, bring your famous mom patience. I include a blank space at the bottom to write down important things you wouldn't want to forget, such as medications or dress shoes. Print and please enjoy!
Emergency Road Trip with Toddlers - What To Pack

  1. Shirts - I pack 3 short sleeve for warmer days and 2 long for cooler. Short sleeves can be better in the car even when it's cold outside if they tend to run hot in their car seat. Just keep a sweatshirt handy which brings us to 2.
  1. Sweatshirt - I only pack 1 and 1 jacket.
  1. Jacket - In colder weather a jacket is easier to remember. If it's warmer, I pack a lightweight jacket (like a raincoat/spring wear)
  1. Shorts - I pack 3 pair.
  1. Pants - I pack 1 pair of jeans 1 pair of sweats (or other pants) and 2 pairs of leggings. Leggings are so versatile. I prefer them over tights when traveling.
  1. Undies or Diapers - I bring 1 bag of diapers or 5 pairs of undies (easy enough to wash, but handy to have on hand in case of an accident)
  1. Socks - I pack 6 pairs. Again, easy enough to wash but always more convenient to have on hand in case they get wet or dirty or thrown out the window...just kidding!!
  1. PJs - I pack 3 pair. The footies are my favorites but they can be much to warm in the Spring or Summer. For travel, I really love the ones that come with shorts and pants.
  1. Shoes - I bring at least 2 pair. Think sneakers and sandals. For this trip I also packed dress shoes for the services. In Winter, think about boots.
  1. Ziploc baggies - I pack things in Ziploc bags to sort and also so I have them on hand in case an outfit gets wet or yucky.
  1. Hair Kit - I would never comb the girls curls without spraying it first so, I bring a hair kit. It includes; spray, wide comb, fine comb, ponies, bows and headbands optional. I put it all in a gallon size baggie.
  1. Wipes - I don't think I will ever stop packing wipes. I packed them before we had babies. They come in handy with so many things. A packing must. If you have a baby in diapers then you should bring 3 soft packs. If they are just for wiping hands or faces or anything else I would suggest 1 soft pack.
  1. Bath Kit - Keep it to a minimum. Just bring your favorite baby soap and baby lotion. Remember to put the them in a ziploc in case of spill. One washcloth and one towel per child. Lastly, toothbrushes and toothpaste. Beat that stinky breath and cavities, even when on an emergency trip.
  1. Travel First Aid Kit - We have two first aid kits. I check them once a month to make sure they are stocked and nothing has expired or spilled. The full sized one stays in our bathroom and so does the travel...unless we go somewhere haha! Our kit includes things like infant tylenol, hydrogen peroxide, bandages, A&D, etc. 
  1. Books - I brought six books total for the girls to share.
  1. Blanket - Can't go anywhere without the favorite blanket! Even if they don't have a favorite, I would pack a travel blanket for car naps or if they get chilly in the car. For comfort I brought them a small stuffy. We have the ones 
  1. Crayons and coloring book - I only pack a few crayons and if you can't find a coloring book a notebook is a great option.
  1. Sippy Cups - Bring one per child. I like the ones with a cover in case it falls on the ground or under the car seat.
I think a stroller is optional. My favorite travel stroller is the Chicco Echo Stroller Ours is turquoise. I love it because it is so easy to fold and unfold. An especially great function when you have more than one little. My second favorite thing about the Echo is that it is lightweight without feeling like you are using a ten dollar flimsy umbrella stroller. Keeps baby secure and there's even a basket underneath!


No comments:

Post a Comment